As we celebrate International Women's Day, below are some stats:-
- In PNG only 50% of girls are enrolled in school compared to 60% of boys
- However in PNG, 65% of women & 63% of men are literate (2000-2007)
- Female representation in the Parliament - 0.9% (1 out of 109); one of the lowest in the Pacific region.
- The Maternal Mortality rate in PNG is 773 per 100,000 births. This is the second worst in the Asia/Pacific region. Afghanistan is the worst.
- Only 53% of women in PNG receive delivery assistance from health professionals.
- In 2007, 21,000 women out of 54,000 Papua New Guineans were living with HIV AIDS (UNAIDS Report on Global AIDS epidemic, 2008)
TAKE A STEP. MAKE A CHANGE.